Thursday, August 2, 2007

Day 34, July 30, 2007

Day 34, Monday, July 30, 2007.
By the time we finished on the internet at the Tourist Information Centre yesterday and we had gotten in late we didn’t have time to do much else. So we decided to spend another day in Charlottetown. We started off walking up the street and looking at all the old houses and the architecture. Not far up the street there was an older church or basilica and we were allowed to go in. Not as old as I would have thought or as old as some we have seen. But the finish is utterly amazing. I’ve taken a lot of pictures and that is the best way to see what I mean. From there we went on to Confederation House, not as ornate of a building as the church but also government built and even then you can see it as a little austere. But the history the building holds! It kind of blows me away that a group of men got together, not to form a company or some other kind of endeavor, but to plan a country which of course later became CANADA. They met, they entertained, they partied together and from there came the basis for the country you and I call our home and native land. From there to the more important things of our lives - - - - - - - -lunch. We had our lunch on the side walk, we are running out of money and had Tegan begging for food or money to get back home. Makes for a better story than the truth. We were hungry and with the muggy weather it is the best place to eat. The weather is cloudy, if not it would have been too hot sit out on the sidewalk. We had a nice lunch at a place called “Just Us Girls”, even the napkins were pink. Service was a little slow “but I guess that is what happens without men working in the place.” From there we hit a few more shops. There are hundreds of little shops in this area down by the harbor. Very quaint little shops and some not so small. I even bought myself a pair of “croc” shoes. Seem very comfortable. My feet get very hot driving because the motor is right at my feet and must leak a little hot air from the motor. Hope these will help. The time is getting on to around 3:00 pm and we would like to get up the island and a little farther. A couple of days ago we did the west side of the island and tomorrow we will do the east side. May take a day or two, suppose to be some real nice beaches and we may even stay at one for a day or so. The Campsite we are in tonight is run by the Town of St. Peter’s Bay. Very nice campsite and we even got a senior’s discount. It took some convincing that I was over 60 years old. I had to show birth certificates, driver’s licenses - she kept saying I don’t look a day over 29, but she finally trusted me and gave us the discount. (I wish). A lot of the campsites are all grass as is this one tonight. We have been using private sites and Provincial Parks rather than Walmart or Canadian Tire because the weather has been so warm and muggy we needed the air conditioning. To give you an idea it is 10:00 pm and the temp outside is still 68.8 f and muggy. We hit our first rain today. We were heading for the motor home and puttering along when I looked across the bay and I said to Willa and Tegan, we had better make a run for it because the rain is on its way. We just barely made it and it started to downpour. Felt just like home, it did feel good after all the hot weather we have had. Well we are all snuggled into our campsite in the trees. I started to clean the bugs off the front of the motor home and ended up washing the whole thing and it did need it. Probably only do 100-150 miles and will take the ferry across to the mainland in the next couple of days depending on what we find on the east side of the island. Well I think I will finish my tea and head to bed. Made a phone call to my mother, it is her birthday today and she turned 93 years old. We talk to the kids every 3-4 days just to keep in touch and Kathy at the office a little less often and if she has a question she will call also. Sounds like she has been busy while we’ve been away. Suppose to be some beautiful beaches on the east side of the island, looking forward to visiting them. Night All.

No comments: