Sunday, July 29, 2007

Day 2, June 28, 2007

Day 2, Thursday June 28, 2007
We got away a little later than we had hoped for but was a hot muggy night and I didn’t sleep very well. Finally got up around 1:00 am and took an aspirin and they usually help when I am restless, it did work and finally went to sleep. We did Willa’s Tim Horton’s stop and I filled up with gas at the Salmon Arm Co-Op at $1.19 per litre for the second grade with 89 Octane the regular gas was $1.14 at 87 octane. From there we motored east stopping at Revelstoke to pick up a few groceries. I pulled into a café’s parking lot while we went for groceries. There was another motorhome there but the only way to park was to block him in. I kept peeking out to see if they had returned so I could move our motorhome and let them out. I noticed them just as we were paying for the groceries so I made a mad dash to move if they were leaving. Turns out they were from the Netherlands and just working their way to Vancouver Island and I think Tofino. I apologized for blocking them in but said I was keeping a close eye on their m/h so I could move ours if they were leaving. She said I had renewed her faith in people “when I said I was watching for them”. Prior to that she had a few bad thoughts about Canadian campers and BC ones in particular that drove Blue motorhomes. Had a nice visit with them, each wished the other a good trip and we went our separate ways. One other stop, the “DOLLAR STORE”, I think women and Dollar Stores are like animals when they leave their scent around, however in the case of women its that they leave their
“cents” instead. I guess it amounts to the same thing in the end. The roads were generally good and traffic wasn’t too bad so I thought it might be a good time for Tegan to drive. Well so far there has been only one bad chunk of road and guess when it had to show up. Rough road, narrow, construction and big trucks. She drove for a little while but when she panicked when a big truck passed her I decided I had better drive from here on. Besides, it wouldn’t have been right to let Willa walk the rest of the way. Sometimes the big trucks will move you a little, but Tegan overreacted and of course that made matters worse. Not that we were in danger of crashing but it did throw the m/h around a little and us inside it. I don’t think being tossed around bothered Willa as much as hitting the floor, she was laying down at the time. Just kidding.
We decided rather than pushing it we would camp early and rest up for the balance of the day. Turned out to be a good idea. We stayed at the Kicking Horse Campground just outside of Field, BC. We honeymooned here when we got married in 1969. I think we are also within one or two sites of where we stayed then. Now we are back with our 16 year old granddaughter Tegan. We set up the m/h and then went for a walk. Very pleasant setting. We hope to be off in the morning between 4-6 am. We will see what happens. We want to be well on the other side of Calgary before we stop again.

No comments: