Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Day 42, August 7, 2007

Day 42, Tuesday, August 7, 2007
We were off fairly early in the morning, I think, doing this day’s diary 2 days from today so not sure, amazing how soon we forget. The goal was to make it to Hopewell rocks today and we did. We went straight into Moncton and the Visitor Information Centre. The VIC backs on to a mud flats and river and if you are there at the right time you can see the Tidal Bore come in. Which is the tide pushing the river water ahead of it as the tide comes in. We were too early, the next high tide was going to be at 4:52 pm. So we thought of going to Hopewell Rocks but that is about an hour away from Moncton. Oh! What to do. Tegan wanted to go to the Zoo which was about 15 minutes away and so we decided to do that. It is now about 12:30 so we will only have till 3:30 or 4:30 and then we have to be back at the TIC for the Tidal Bore. I made a mistake, had to accept it, but I did and I thought the tide was in at 4:52 pm and so I rushed the girls to get them back on time. This Title Bore, I am told is something to watch at 8-18 inches of wave coming up the river. Well we get back and I find out high tide isn’t until 5:52 pm so we had as it turns out a 90 minute wait. So that cost me dinner out. There was a nice restaurant right next door to the TIC and we had dinner there. None of us were too hungry. Willa had the fish and chips, which they batter themselves. Tegan had the creamy seafood chowder. I had the Acadian sea food chowder. The restaurant was a high end restaurant and the prices a little high but it was close by. I debated about the Acadian seafood chowder, because it was something new, but the gal that served us said it was good and never had a complaint. So lets go for it. It was the best chowder I’ve had so far and I know I have said this before. It is done in a spicy thin broth with a lots of sea food, whole lobster claw, large shrimp, scallops, steamed mussels, and I think some other fish. It was absolutely delicious. Tegan’s was good also but only ranked second best on her list. A very thick white chowder with lots of cream and maybe just a little too thick. We waited for and watched the Tidal Bore come in but must say it was interesting but somewhat of a let down. 8 to 18 inches sounds like a lot but not when you spread it over a 200-300 foot mud river and the bore was only about 8 inches or so. But it was interesting. Met a chap there and we got talking about where we are from. He was from eastern Ontario and we got talking about family trees. His last name is MacIntosh and his 6 or so great grandfather back was quietly famous. Do you recognize the name “John MacIntosh”. I thought not, he started the MacIntosh apple. Amazing what you find out when you talk to people. Well from the TIC we headed for the Hopewell Rocks. This area has the highest tidal changes in the world 25-35 feet, I am told. Well we are there for High Tide and the place closes at 8:00 pm and it is now 7:15 pm but the ticket is good for the next day also. So we walk down to the rocks which is about a 15-30 minute walk. Interesting but not much to see unless you see both ends of the tide which is what we will do. We’ll come back tomorrow and see it at low tide so you can walk all around the rocks. Driving into the Hopewell Rocks the motorhome started to make a loud noise like the muffler has a hole in it. So when we pull up and park I crawl under to see what the problem is. The Oxygen Sensor which screws into the exhaust pipe from the manifold, can you believe, fell out. Luckily the wire connecting it to the motorhome held it so I didn’t loose it. I tried as best as I could to put it back but I think the threads are stripped. Sure enough 5 minutes down the road sounds like a big hole in the muffler. We get to the campsite and I crawl under with wrenches to see if I can fix it, but the threads are shot and will need a garage to look at it. This is a problem for tomorrow. The campsite we are in is nice and has wifi but only at the office and guess where Tegan is with my laptop and why this is being written a day late. Willa decided to take advantage of the laundry right behind us and that is where she spent her evening. On that note I will say good night.

No comments: