Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day 50, August15, 2007

Day 50, Wednesday, August 15, 2007.
We got away at 9:30 am Ontario time but I had set the clocks for the time change and so it was 8:30 am, depending on how you look at it. We were at Thunder Bay last night and the time change is just 10-15 miles West of Thunder Bay. So I cheated a little! It was cool in the morning when we left about 54f and stayed that way most of the day until we got into Manitoba and it started to warm up, with it came the head wind to Winnipeg. We had a real good drive the roads were all good and again letting out the extra air in the tires seemed to smooth the road quite a bit. A lot of trucks on the road. We traveled Highway 11 from Thunder Bay which is the Trans Canada Highway. Being a main road is probably why all the trucks and do they ever move along. The speed limit is 90 k/h. I set the cruise at approx 94 k/h and they were piling up behind me. I finally set the cruise at 98-99 and I finally moved along with the traffic. When a truck did come up behind me and a passing lane was available I would wave them by. If I didn’t slow down for them I would beat them up the hill and still have them behind me till the next passing lane. They seemed to appreciate it and would flash either their tail lights or back up lights to thank me (or else saying what a rotten no good for nothing Rv’er). The other thing that I do when the big rigs or motorhomes pass, when it is safe for them to pull back into my lane, I flash my head lights at them to let them know it is safe to pull in. Again they seem to appreciate it and flash back at me. I’ve had a few do this for me and it is helpful. I don’t pass too much because I just don’t have the power or the speed. The units I do pass are the ones that are sporadic with their speed. I had one motorhome today that was generally at about 94 k/h then down to 80-84 then back up agin. So I finally passed him but I always wait for a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong opportunity. He tailed me for awhile after I passed and then slowly fell behind and never did see him again. Generally the traffic moves very well and not too many doddlers but a number that must be over 100 k/h including the big trucks. We were just about 20 miles from Ignace, Ontario, we had come through some construction when I noticed an area of about 200-300 feet across of trees that were laying down and broken off about 12-15 feet up. At first I thought it was part of the construction and then realized there must have had a tornado or hurricane go though just that area. When we got to Ingnace they had one go through the day before. One building had its roof rolled up like the lid on a can of sardines. There were broken windows and a large sign had all the plastic blown out. Again in just a little strip so it must have been a twister that touched down. When we got to Winnipeg and the campsite the ladies there were saying a tornado had been through their area, although they didn’t get the wind destruction, they got the hail storm and some of the wind. One trailer had its awning flipped right over the rig. Lots of hail damage, cracked windows and one motorhome had a window blown right out. We were lucky and missed it all. Started to get a little warmer closer to Winnipeg and so did the head wind, got stronger that is. We pulled into the campsite after spending 7 hours on the road without a stop (other than one potty break for me) and covered 690 kilometers or 428 miles. The more driving we do the longer I am able to stay behind the wheel and not get tired. Willa had made reservations on the Satellite Phone while we drove so didn’t have to worry about a campsite. We needed groceries so we picked those up before setting up at the campsite which is the Traveller’s RV Resort. Difficult to move once setup and takes time setting up and down. We used the talking GPS to find a grocery store. Willa had bought me one for my birthday in June. (Oh! Thank you). She asked for a grocery store and it told her where it was, gave the address, then proceeded to give us direction on how to get there. (Turn left in .5 miles, turn left now and so it went.) She, we’ve named her Nagging Nelly, was right on with every turn and brought us right to the Safeway store. Isn’t technology something else. I do not understand how it works but I understand how to work it. We have Gwynne and Tom Cooper coming out for dinner tomorrow night and needed some supplies. Haven’t seen Tom and Gwynne for about, had to think on this but can’t be but must be about 8-9 years ago, when we were out to Saskatchewan for the last Kraft Reunion which was in 2000. Man that is hard to believe, time just flies. We watched a movie in the evening after supper then turned in. Very windy all evening. Got cool when the sun went down.

No comments: